Yemen truce plane gaining support, UN envoy says

By REUTERS
August 4, 2015 14:43
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

GENEVA - The UN envoy to Yemen believes his plan to end a four-month conflict that has triggered a humanitarian crisis in Yemen is increasingly gaining acceptance among the warring parties, a UN spokesman said on Tuesday.

On a visit to Cairo, UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed met the secretary-general of the General People's Congress (GPC) party, which supports former president Ali Abdullah Saleh, and Nabil Elaraby, the secretary-general of the Arab League, UN spokesman Ahmad Fawzi said.

"He feels his plan is gaining more and more acceptance among the parties. Riyadh has a indicated positive reaction towards the plan, the GPC is considering it positively," he said.

The five days of talks in Geneva produced agreement in principle on a ceasefire and withdrawal of armed forces. The talks broke up before a final deal could be agreed, but Ould Cheikh Ahmed said he remained optimistic.

Fawzi said that after Egypt, Ould Cheikh Ahmed would go to Oman, where he has previously met Houthi representatives, and to Riyadh, home to Hadi's government in exile, and then to New York to brief the UN Security Council.

Fawzi denied that Ould Cheikh Ahmed had discussed the possibility of negotiating Saleh's exit from Yemen, but added that Arab League secretary-general Elaraby had told the envoy that the league would consider monitoring a ceasefire in Yemen.

UN-led talks in June between northern Houthi rebel fighters and supporters of the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi failed to end the war, in which the United Nations says nearly 2,000 civilians have been killed.

A stand-off between the two sides escalated in late March when a Saudi-led Arab coalition began a campaign of air strikes against the Houthis and their allies, loyalists of Saleh.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
Kindergarten teacher where incendiary balloon fell says 'lucky' nothing happened

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF