After delays, massive US bunker-buster available

Facing possible intervention in Syria, Iran strike, 30,000-pound bomb capable of penetrating underground facilities is ready.

By
July 26, 2012 19:05
1 minute read.
Drone (illustrative)

Drone (illustrative). (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

In the face of possible military intervention in Syria and a strike against Iran, the United States has announced that its largest bunker-buster missile capable of penetrating underground facilities is operational and ready for use if needed.

Called the Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP), the 30,000-pound bomb – which contains over 5,000 pounds of explosives – was originally designed to take out hardened fortifications in Iran and North Korea.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The announcement that it is operational comes at a time that the western world is increasingly concerned over the potential proliferation of Syria’s chemical weapons to Hezbollah.

“If it needed to go today, we would be ready to do that,” United States Air Force Secretary Michael Donley told the Air Force Times this week.

“We continue to do testing on the bomb to refine its capabilities, and that is ongoing. We also have the capability to go with existing configuration today.”

Donley’s announcement that the MOP is operational comes after Defense Secretary Leon Panetta told The Wall Street Journal earlier this year that the bomb had shortcomings against some of Iran’s deep bunker facilities. According to the report, the Pentagon has spent over $300 million to develop the bomb, which is made by Boeing.

Israel has closely followed the development of the MOP, also known as the GBU-57. The MOP is said to be able to penetrate around 60 meters. It is unclear, however, how Israel would deploy such a bomb which would not fit onto its current fleet of combat aircraft. The US Air Force intends to deploy the MOP on B-2 bombers which can carry a far larger payload than the Israel Air Force’s F- 15s and F-16s.

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF