Barak speech serious 311.
(photo credit: REUTERS/Charles Dharapak/Pool )
Defense Minister Ehud Barak said on Sunday that Jerusalem was willing to accept a mutual ceasefire with Hamas in Gaza after several days of projectile fire and IDF strikes that began after Hamas' armed wing fired an anti-tank missile at an Israeli school bus on Thursday.
RELATED:IDF vows to keep up air strikes as 120 rockets hit SouthHamas: We'll broaden attacks if IDF strikes continueIron Dome works in combat, intercepts Katyusha rocket
"If they stop firing on our communities, we will stop firing. If they stop firing in general, it will be quiet, it will be good," Barak told Israel Radio.
Barak added that there is no "quick fix" for the problem of rocket and
mortar fire from the Strip. Speaking about a possible IDF operation in
Gaza, he said, "If necessary, we will act, but," he said, "restraint is also a form of strength."
The defense minister told Israel Radio that the success of the Iron Dome
brings an end to the debate over multi-layered rocket
interception systems and that the only remaining issue is that of its
Also on Sunday morning, Deputy Prime Minister Moshe Ya'alon expressed
hope that Israel is not drawn into another war in the Gaza Strip but
warned Hamas against testing Jerusalem's willingness to defend itself,
in an interview on Army Radio.
Ya'alon, a former IDF chief of general-staff, said that military action is always the last option.
"I don't recommend that Hamas test us in the coming days," he warned.
"They have taken some hard hits and they will sustain even harsher ones"
if they continue firing rockets and mortars at Israel, he said.
"We have a lot of options," he added, "and the IDF is prepared for them."
The deputy prime minister, who also serves as minister of strategic
affairs, addressed internal arguments and power struggles taking place
between Hamas' military and political echelons, saying that it "doesn't
interest us." If Hamas is in charge of the Gaza Strip, he said, "they
they are responsible" for what happens there.
He added that since the days of former PLO chairman Yassir Arafat,
Jerusalem's policy has been that in any territory it doesn't control, it
demands responsibility from whoever is in power.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu took a slightly harder line on
Saturday, saying that Israel will not allow Hamas to set the rules of
the game, during late night consultations regarding the escalating
violence in the South.
Netanyahu said that raising the level of violence such that a tank
missile is fired on a school bus, and thinking that this is just part of
the ongoing status quo, was not acceptable and would not be tolerated.
“Even if we are not interested in an escalation,” he was quoted as saying, “the response will be determined, harsh and ongoing.”
In addition to holding security consultations, Netanyahu’s bureau held
discussions with various international officials examining ways to
dampen down the violence.
Netanyahu arrived in the country before Shabbat from a two-day trip to
Germany and the Czech Republic. Earlier on Friday, following his meeting
with Czech President Vaclav Klaus in Prague, the prime minister said:
“The attack on a school bus crossed the line. Whoever tries to hurt and
murder children will be held accountable.”
He is expected to address the issue further at Sunday’s weekly cabinet meeting.Reuters contributed to this report