Cabinet orders cessation of gas mask distribution

Decision to be reassessed at end of year for reduced rate of gas mask distribution following destruction of Syrian chemical weapons.

By
January 19, 2014 15:49
1 minute read.
A child watches as gas masks are handed out at a center in Jerusalem, August 28, 2013.

Gas masks Jerusalem 370. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later



The political-security cabinet decided on Sunday to cease the distribution of gas masks to Israeli citizens beginning in February, following the destruction of Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


After February, gas mask distribution will continue at a reduced rate, and the chemical protection kits still being produced will be earmarked for emergency and rescue services, rather than the general population. The defense establishment will reassess the decision by the end of the year, the cabinet said.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said the decision is responsible, well-informed, and “takes into account changes in threats in Middle East and the power of the State of Israel.”

“In light of Syria’s disbandment of chemical weapons, there is a dramatic drop in the threat of chemical weapons use against Israel, allowing us to make this morning’s decision,” said Ya’alon. “In recent years, Israel has enjoyed extraordinary offensive and defensive capabilities, and they deter states and organizations from acting against us, certainly with unconventional weapons, as the price for that would be most heavy.

“We are confident that the defense establishment and the IDF will continue to operate everywhere, near and far, to safeguard the security of Israel,” he added.

Gilad Golan, head of the CBN Department at Supergum Industries, which manufactures the gas masks, told The Jerusalem Post in November that if the defense establishment concludes that “there’s a new situation in the Middle East, and that the threat is gone, and if they reach a considered decision to stop production, I can’t fight against that.”

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Golan, former head of the IDF Home Front Command’s gas mask section, expressed hope that decision makers would wait at least a year before making a final decision, and noted that the original decision to distribute gas masks came from an assessment that a future war would have no advanced warning.

Last year, the defense establishment advised the government that should Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal be destroyed, further distribution of gas masks to Israeli civilians should cease.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF