Egyptian army 370.
(photo credit: REUTERS/Stringer)
An Egyptian military spokesman said on Sunday that the army will not allow any
harm to national security and that the situation in Sinai will be settled
shortly, according to a report by the Egyptian State Information
Colonel Ahmed Ali said in a statement to Sky News, “The Egyptian
army will not allow any harm to national security and the Egyptian army has the
potential, capacity and information to resolve the situation in the right
On Sunday evening, the IDF declared a state of alert in areas near the Israel-Egypt border, and
residents were told to stay in their homes as tensions have increased because of
the fighting on the Egyptian side, according to Israel Radio. No casualties have
been reported on the Israeli side of the border.
Meanwhile, the Egyptian
State Information Service also reported on Sunday that the army has killed 37
terrorists and wounded 42 so far in their security operation in the
Unidentified gunmen attacked four army and police checkpoints in
Rafah and Arish while gunmen fired at an army checkpoint in front of the Rafah
municipal council using RPG launchers and attacked Sukkar, Al-Mahager, and Al
Matar checkpoints on Al- Arish ring road.
Two soldiers were injured in
these attacks, according to the report.
Security sources said that the
army exchanged fire with gunmen and that apache helicopters chased the fleeing
gunmen into neighboring fields.