Former IDF spokesman vows to 'uncover attempt to harm Ashkenazi'

Avi Benayahu claims that the damaging attack has come from former defense minister Ehud Barak's camp.

By
August 21, 2013 19:57
1 minute read.
Former IDF chief of staff Lt.- Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi in CNN interview

Former IDF chief of staff Lt.- Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi 370. (photo credit: Screenshot CNN)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Former IDF spokesman Brig.-Gen. (res.) Avi Benayahu vowed on Wednesday to “uncover” an alleged attempt by former defense minister Ehud Barak to damage the reputation of Lt.-Gen. (res.) Gabi Ashkenazi, who served under Barak as chief of staff.

Benayahu made the comments on Army Radio, ahead of a court session over a slander lawsuit he launched against the McCan-Erickson public relations firm, and the Yediot Aharonot and Haaretz newspapers. The lawsuit said an advertisement placed by the PR agency in the two papers in 2011, which accused Ashkenazi and Benayahu of organizing a “putsch” at army headquarters, was slanderous.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The chairman of McCan-Erickson, Ilan Shiloah, came forward on Tuesday evening and announced that he placed the message in the newspapers, adding that he acted as a concerned citizen, and that he did not regret the action.

The lawsuit is part of the wider affair centering around a forged document, known as the “Harpaz document,” which was designed to discredit a candidate for the position of chief of staff put forward by Barak.

A State Comptroller’s Report released in January charted an ever-escalating feud between Ashkenazi and Barak. Relations between their two bureaus became dysfunctional to a worrying degree, the report found, culminating in the forged document.


Earlier this month, the police announced it would launch a wider criminal investigation, due to new evidence.

“At the end, they’re not after me, they’re after Gabi Ashkenazi,” Benayahu told Army Radio on Wednesday. “Ehud Barak submitted an affidavit to aid whom? Ilan Shiloah? [Now] he [Barak] is exposed to cross examination. We’ll question him on his links with Boaz Harpaz [the ex-intelligence officers charged with drawing up the false document], if they existed, and the reasons that led him and the prime minister to cancel the appointment of [Maj.-Gen. (res.) Yoav] Galant,” Benayahu said.

In Barak’s affidavit, the former defense minister accused Ashkenazi of being at the head of a group of senior officers that acted improperly to torpedo Galant’s appointment.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF