Rocket damage in house 311.
(photo credit: REUTERS/Amir Cohen)
The head of the IDF’s Southern Command warned of growing anarchy in the Gaza
Strip on Saturday as rockets continued to slam into Israel over the weekend, one
of them scoring a direct hit on a home in the western Negev.
RELATED:Jewish, Israeli groups offer aid to Japan after quakeIsraeli search and rescue team leaves for Japan
The home in
the Eshkol area was badly damaged, but none of the family members sleeping
inside early Saturday morning was harmed. The attack came as their eldest son
and his partner came to visit for a family celebration.
A total of four
rockets were fired at southern Israel from Gaza over the weekend.
Saturday afternoon, OC Southern Command Maj.-Gen. Tal Russo visited the house
that was hit by a rocket on Friday night and said that Hamas was encountering
difficulty in reining in other terrorist groups – like Islamic Jihad – and
preventing them from firing rockets into Israel.
“There is anarchy right
now on the other side and Hamas is having difficulty getting the situation back
to the way it was,” Russo said. “There is anarchy within Gaza and within Hamas.
There is no control.”
Asked whether he thought the situation could
escalate into another war, Russo replied: “We are prepared for any possibility,
the goal is we won’t in the end permit a situation where it is impossible for
civilians to live here.”
JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:
Russo added: “The other side is showing a
shortness of memory and I hope they come to their senses.”
large-scale operation in Gaza is under consideration if the escalation in
hostilities continues, it is not the military’s first preference and there are
still other steps that can be taken before embarking on an operation like
Operation Cast Lead.
One option under consideration is to resume targeted
killings of terror chiefs in Gaza – believed to be a step that could deter
terror groups from continuing to attack Israel.
On Friday, Defense
Minister Ehud Barak toured the Gaza border and spoke about his decision to
authorize the deployment of the Iron Dome counterrocket defense system in the
South to defend against Palestinian rocket fire.
Barak said that the Iron
Dome was an “extraordinary invention” by Israeli defense company Rafael but he
cautioned that it did not provide hermetic protection from terrorist rocket
The defense minister also praised the IDF’s operations in the
“The IDF is doing a very good job – very professional
and creative, with [good] results, along the border and in the Gaza Strip
itself,” he said.
“Terror organizations in the Strip took a hard hit
during the last 10 days,” Barak said, adding that the groups had lost fighters
during that period.
“We do not intend to allow terrorist organizations to
renew the situation and break the status quo,” he said. “We will act as is
required to return the operations back to the [border] line
Hamas said on Saturday that Gazan groups had agreed to halt
their rocket fire at Israel if the latter stops launching strikes against
targets in the Gaza Strip.
Hamas spokesman Ismail Rudwan said after a
meeting with faction heads over a surge in cross-border tensions with Israel,
that the terror groups were “committed as long as the occupation [Israel] was
committed” to restore a de facto cease-fire.
Meanwhile, schools in
southern Israel are expected to reopen on Sunday after some had been closed
since Wednesday, television stations reported on Saturday night.Reuters
and Jerusalem Post staff contributed to this report.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>