IDF kills West Bank man infiltrating into Israel

Palestinian security officials say 21-year-old man was attempting to cross border in South Hebron Hills to get to workplace in Israel.

January 12, 2013 22:20
1 minute read.
IDF soldiers patrol near Gaza

IDF soldiers patrol near Gaza 370. (photo credit: Reuters/Amir Cohen)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The IDF opened fire on a Palestinian youth it said was attempting to cross into Israel from the West Bank on Tuesday morning.

The youth later died at a Ramallah hospital.

An initial army investigation found that a violent disturbance had occurred near the village of Budrus, northwest of Ramallah, during which the youth attempted to cut through the security fence in that area.

The youth got through the fence, army sources said. Soldiers then attempted to stop him, verbally at first, shouting warnings, and then by firing in the air, before firing at the youth.

The IDF is continuing to investigate the incident.

An official statement released by the IDF Spokesman’s Office said the teenager had tried to breach the security fence.

Palestinian sources identified the youth as 16-year-old Sameer Awwad of Budrus, adding that he had been shot three times.

A statement from the Palestinian Popular Struggle Coordination Committee cited eye witnesses as saying that the youth “was walking away from light clashes with IDF troops when he was shot, once in the the chest, once in the neck and once in his leg.”

The statement added that Awwad had been shot at from a range of 100 meters, and that “one bullet hit his leg, another entered the back of his neck and exited near his eyebrow, and the third entered his rib cage and exited from his chest.”

The committee said Awwad is the fourth Palestinian to have been killed this week by the IDF in the West Bank.

On Saturday, a Palestinian man was shot and killed.

The IDF said he was attempting to infiltrate Israel from the South Hebron Hills region.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron


Cookie Settings