Nakba Day protests_311.
(photo credit: Reuters)
Despite accusations that the IDF killed 10 Lebanese protesters on Sunday, Israel has decided not to release a video which shows the Lebanese Army opening fire at the demonstrators.
The video was taken by the IDF of the area just north of the town of Avivim, where hundreds of Palestinian refugees gathered on Sunday to participate in Nakba Day demonstrations against Israel. At one point, a group of the protesters rushed to the border but were pushed back by soldiers from the Lebanese Armed Forces.
Syrian 'Nakba' protester arrested in Tel Aviv
Analysis: IDF worried border protests just beginning
IDF soldiers also opened fire at the legs of some of the protesters who managed to penetrate the LAF perimeter and reach the border fence. Lebanese media reported that 10 people were killed. But senior IDF officers said on Monday that it was likely that most of the dead were killed by the LAF gunfire.
The decision not to release the video was made during consultations
between the IDF and the Prime Minister’s Office, both of which were
concerned that its release to the public could embarrass the LAF, and in
turn deter the Lebanese army from responding aggressively the next time
protesters try to storm the border.
The quality of the video was also said to be poor.
The IDF’s investigation into the breaching of Israel’s border with Syria
continued on Monday, as the Engineering Corps repaired the damage
caused to the fence where around 100 Palestinians infiltrated the Druze
village of Majdal Shams.
The IDF probe is focusing on intelligence and operational failures that led to the incident.
JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:
There were conflicting reports regarding the number of Syrians killed in
the clashes with IDF soldiers along the border. Sources in the Northern
Command said on Monday that only one body had been returned from Israel
to Syria and could not confirm Syrian media reports that Israeli
gunfire killed two protesters.
At the same time, IDF officers downplayed reports of tension brewing
between the Northern Command and Military Intelligence over the failures
that led to the border infiltration on Sunday. The Northern Command had
prepared for larger demonstrations near the Quneitra Crossing but not
near Majdal Shams.
Officers in the command said they did not have intelligence about the planned protest there.
Intelligence officers said information about the planned protests in
Syria had been conveyed to the Northern Command but that it was
“operationally impossible” to seal off over 200 kilometers of border to
stop determined infiltrators.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>