J'lem: Police preparations in response to terror alert halt

Earlier in day police increase patrols in capital, conduct police checks in light of terror warning; 17 year-old stabbing victim's condition improves.

October 24, 2011 17:04
1 minute read.
Border Police forces [file]

Border Police forces 311 (R). (photo credit: Ammar Awad / Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Police preparations in response to a terror alert in Jerusalem were halted Monday afternoon, and intelligence units continued to manage the situation. 

Earlier on Monday afternoon Police raised the terror alert in the capital in response to specific intelligence of a possible terrorist attack. As helicopters hovered overhead, a temporary command center was established near the International Convention Center (Binyanei Hauma).

Police also stepped up patrols in Jerusalem and traffic was halted in many areas due to police checks. "This was specific information we received, and police are responding immediately in order to maintain public safety," said National police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Hebron: Border Police stop Palestinian stabbing attack

Armed man arrested at Cave of Patriarchs
Security forces continue to search for stabbing suspect

The heightened alert comes just two days after a stabbing attack in Jerusalem's Ramot neighborhood on Saturday afternoon that left 17-year-old Yehuda Ne'emad in serious condition. It was just one of three incidents involving stabbing attempts or attacks in five days.

On Sunday, a Palestinian armed with a 14- centimeter knife was arrested by Border Police at the Cave of the Patriarchs in Jerusalem, who said he had intended to launch a knife attack on Israelis on the site.

Last Wednesday, a Palestinian woman was arrested at the Gush Etzion Junction after charging at a group of soldiers and civilians waiting at a bus stop and brandishing a knife while yelling “Death to Jews!” There were no injuries.

A defense source said the security establishment was not viewing the recent stabbing attempts and incident as a coordinated wave of attacks.

“They’re not planned or directly related,” the source said Sunday.

Jpost.com staff contributed to this report

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron