Netanyahu promises Israeli response to Eilat attacks

PM tells Eilat mayor that terrorist acts harmed the country's sovereignty; Defense Minister Barak says terror attacks originated in Gaza.

By JPOST.COM
August 18, 2011 17:15
1 minute read.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu spoke to Eilat Mayor Meir Yitzhak-Halevy on Thursday following three separate terror attacks in the area, telling him, "We're talking about a serious incident in which Israeli citizens were hurt and the country's sovereignty was harmed."

He promised the mayor that Israel would respond to the attacks which killed at least seven Israelis on Thursday.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Police beef up forces, call on public to be vigilant after Eilat attacks

Separately, the prime minister's office reminded Israelis that a travel warning against Sinai exists and it urged all Israelis vacationing there to leave.

Earlier on Thursday, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said that the IDF will hunt down the perpetrators of the three-stage terrorist attack along Israel's border with Egypt.

Barak said that Israel will strike back at the terrorist infrastructure in Gaza in response to the attacks.

Click for full Jpost coverage

Speaking from his office at the Defense Ministry headquarters in Tel Aviv, the defense minister added that the IDF was assessing the security situation along the border with Egypt.



"The attacks demonstrate the weakening of Egypt's control over the Sinai peninsula and the expansion of terrorist activity there," Barak said, adding "These attacks originate in Gaza and we will act against them with full force and resolve."

Commander of the IDF's Edom Division, which is responsible for the border with Egypt, Brig.-Gen. Tamir Yidayi said that he had set up a command post at the scene of the attack to coordinate inter agency efforts to locate the perpetrators.

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF