School cancelled in southern cities due to rocket attacks

Classes cancelled in Ashdod, Beersheba, Gan Yavne; 4 projectiles fired in total in latest attack; Iron Dome system intercepts Grad over Beersheba; none hurt, no damage reported; US ambassador condemns continued barrage.

By
October 31, 2011 22:27
1 minute read.
Cars damaged in Ashkelon from Gaza Rockets

AShkelon Gaza rockets cars 311 R. (photo credit: REUTERS/ Nir Elias )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinian terrorists in Gaza fired bursts of rocket fire into southern Israel throughout the second half of Monday, undermining reports of a 'ceasefire' and prompting local officials to shut schools for a third day in a row.

Classes have been cancelled in Ashdod, Beersheba, and Gan Yavne by municipalities and regional councils.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Palestinian rocket fired from Gaza explodes near Beersheba
Iron Dome battery moved south after Gaza-rocket attacks

The school closures were accompanied by reminders sent by the authorities to residents on the need to remain in designated safe zones for a period of ten minutes following the sounding of an air raid siren.

Speaking at a Bnai Brith event in Jerusalem on Monday night the United States' Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro strongly condemned the continued rocket barrage.

"There is no excuse for attacking innocent civilians," Shapiro said. He added that the US supports Israel's right to defend its country and its citizens.

"The US and Israel stand together in their fight against terror," he said.





Meanwhile, Military Intelligence concluded that video released by Islamic Jihad of a truck-mounted rocket launcher firing several projectiles in successive was a forgery. The video had been released as part of a boast by the terror organization of improved rocket firing capabilities.

On Monday night, a Grad-type rocket fired at Beersheba was successfully intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-rocket shield, minutes after air raid sirens rang out across the Negev city.

Three additional rockets landed in open territory around Sderot and the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council Earlier, a rocket exploded south of Ashkelon, shattering a period of calm that had been in place since early Monday morning.

No injuries or damage were reported in any of the attacks.

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF