Soldier on 'Marmara': 'I thought I was going to die'

Israeli Navy commando testifies to Turkel committee about an attack by a violent mob wielding clubs and bars aboard the flotilla ship's deck.

January 23, 2011 20:41
2 minute read.
A lack of prior intelligence.

mavi marmara weapons 311. (photo credit: IDF)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

“I thought I was going to die, it was much worse than what we call a danger to your life,” an Israeli Navy commando who was severely beaten and temporarily taken captive by the violent mob aboard the Mavi Marmara Turkish passenger ship last May said in testimony revealed on Sunday.

The testimony appeared in the Turkel Committee’s report submitted to the government on Sunday as well as in a report published by the Meir Amit Intelligence and Terrorism Information Center (ITIC).

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Turkel: Flotilla raid was in accordance with int'l law
Turkish PM says Turkel C'tee report has 'no credibility'

Identified as Soldier A. in the report, the Navy commando described how he was immediately lynched upon landing on the Mavi Marmara’s upper deck after fast-roping down from an Israeli helicopter.

“Before my feet hit the deck about 10 men jumped on me and started beating me with clubs, iron bars, their fists and anything else they could find. They beat my whole body, but they focused especially on my head and face. I have to make it clear that at that point I wasn’t armed,” the soldier was quoted as saying in the report.

“That was when I knew my life was really in immediate danger.”

Soldier A. was thrown over the side of the upper deck to the ship’s bottom level and broke his arm upon landing.

After landing, he said, another mob started choking him while driving fingers into his eyes in an attempt to gouge them out.

“At that point they acted like they were fighting an enemy and had come to kill him, that is, kill me. I kept waiting for the blow to my head that would kill me,” he testified, adding that he was later hospitalized with skull fractures and two cranial hemorrhages.

Another commando, identified as Soldier B., said that he encountered a frenzied mob with “insane eyes full of hate.

“All the people surrounding me were hitting me as hard as they could, especially my head. They were in a frenzy, screaming ‘Allahu akbar’ [‘Allah is great’] over and over. They were hitting me all over,” he said.

After he was taken down to the lower levels of the ship, he was told in English that they planned to kill him, according to the soldier.

“They dragged me down a ladder, two men, one above and one below – while they were dragging me by my pants they started coming off and my shirt hiked up,” he said. “I saw that there was massive bleeding and I could see my intestines spilling out of my stomach.”

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron