Mavi Marmara Raid 311.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
A Turkish prosecutor is seeking the arrest of 174 IDF personnel allegedly involved in the naval commando raid that killed nine Turks on the Mavi Marmara ship carrying aid to the Gaza Strip last year, broadcaster CNN Turk reported on Wednesday.
RELATED:IDF gearing up to legally defend ‘Marmara’ soldiersErdogan plays out anti-Israel routine during UN
speech Turkish PM: Gaza flotilla raid was 'grounds for
CNN Turk said on its website that Istanbul state prosecutor Mehmet Akif Ekinci had written to the Turkish Justice Ministry calling for the arrest of those who carried out the raid and those who ordered it.
An official contacted by Reuters was not aware of the report and was checking.
Last month, the IDF said it was taking legal precautions to protect soldiers and officers who
participated in the operation to stop the Mavi Marmara
senior defense officials said. Turkish news reports
intelligence agencies had compiled a list identifying 174 soldiers who could be
prosecuted for their involvement in the operation.
The Istanbul deputy
public prosecutor Ates Shasan Sozen told the Today’s Zaman
the list was compiled by IHH, the organization that organized the Gaza flotilla,
and not by Turkish intelligence.
wrote that the names were acquired by Turkish intelligence agencies that had
studied social connections on Facebook and Twitter, as well as photographs on
those websites with ones taken on board the Mavi Marmara
The list of 174
names was transferred to Turkish prosecutors, in addition to pictures of 10 IDF
soldiers the paper said could not be identified.
Yaakov Katz and Oren Kessler contributed to this report.