Ya'alon: Recent terror attacks should not raise fears of 3rd intifada

Defense Minister says murder of 2 IDF soldiers in separate attacks does not raise alarms over violent uprising in West Bank; says IDF "will not rest until we catch the last terrorist involved in these attacks."

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
September 24, 2013 15:28
1 minute read.
Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon (R) looks into Syria on tour of Golan Heights

Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon 370. (photo credit: Ariel Hermoni, Defense Ministry spokesman)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The deadly terror attacks that claimed the lives of two IDF soldiers in recent days do not constitute the start of a third intifada, Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said Tuesday, as a relatively quiet day passed over Hebron.

The Palestinian sniper who killed an IDF soldier this week in Hebron remains at large, and there has been no breakthrough in attempts to capture him, a senior army source said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


On Tuesday evening, a Molotov cocktail was hurled at an army vehicle traveling near the settlement of Tekoa, southeast of Bethlehem. There were no injuries in the attack.

Speaking from the Defense Ministry in Tel Aviv, Ya’alon said the defense establishment was “looking at the current period and we see no reason for any kind of alarm, or signs of an intifada. There is no connection between the two terror attacks, and we believe that the IDF will succeed in calming the situation on the ground.”

Earlier on Tuesday, Ya’alon hosted haredi soldiers and volunteers at the Defense Ministry.

“We will not rest until we catch the last terrorist involved in these attacks,” the defense minister vowed.

Israel must “continue to hold the sword, despite being a peace-seeking people,” he added.



Security forces arrested six Palestinian security suspects overnight Tuesday, launching raids in Deir Asita, southeast of Kalkilya, where two wanted men were arrested, and in Abud, northwest of Ramallah, where four suspects were taken in for questioning.

Early on Tuesday, the IDF accompanied some 1,200 Israeli pilgrims who arrived at Joseph’s Tomb in Nablus to pray. On their way out of Nablus, the Israeli convoy was targeted by rock throwers, but there were no injuries or damages.

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF