Erekat: Quartet attempts to renew talks a failure

J'lem officials say Israel would support "all steps designed to bring about the expeditious beginning of direct talks.”

By REBECCA ANNA STOIL,
November 16, 2011 03:39
1 minute read.
Erekat

PA Chief Negotiator Saeb Erekat_311. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

With the United States claiming that Israeli and Palestinian representatives are expected to meet with members of the Quartet in mid- December, top Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said Tuesday that attempts by the Quartet earlier this week to lay the groundwork for talks had failed.

“Quartet attempts to create an atmosphere suitable to relaunch negotiations and convince Israel to stop building in settlements have failed,” Erekat told Agence France Presse in reacting to an Israeli announcement that new building tenders would be issued for Jerusalem neighborhoods over the pre-1967 lines.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Israel upset by PA’s refusal to renew talks
Abbas vows to push ahead with UN membership bid


Government officials in Jerusalem said that despite the disappointing results of the second round of talks that Quartet figures held separately with Israeli and Palestinian officials earlier this week, Israel would support “all steps designed to bring about the expeditious beginning of direct talks.”

One official said Israel hoped the international community would step in and place pressure on the Palestinian Authority to restart the negotiations without preconditions. The Palestinians say they will resume talks only if Israel freezes all settlement construction beyond the Green Line and agrees that a Palestinian state within the contours of the 1967 lines would serve as the basis for the negotiations.

The official said he could not imagine Israel turning down an invitation to another round of Quartet-mediated talks, but stressed that those discussions were not seen as a substitute for direct talks between the parties themselves on the core issues of security, borders, Jerusalem and refugees.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN