Housing Ministry published tenders for 336 settlement homes

294 homes to be built in Beitar Illit, 42 in Karnei Shomron; gov't believes both settlements will be included in final status agreement.

By
July 18, 2011 16:44
2 minute read.
Construction work in Beitar Illit [file].

construction work in beitar illit 311. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

For the first time since the end of the moratorium on new settlement building last September, the Ministry of Housing and Construction on Monday published tenders for 336 settlement units on Monday.

The move comes as Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu spoke out on the housing crisis on Monday, calling for the opposition to cooperate and vote for measures that will alleviate current problems.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Housing minister announces plan for 6,900 new units
BoI: Housing market will cool in coming year

According to the ministry 294 new homes will be built in the Beitar Illit settlement just outside of Jerusalem and 42 in the Karnei Shomron settlement outside of Kfar Sava.

News of the possible authorization of the homes was first released in May and has been reported on several times since then. The Beitar Illit homes were actually approved by the Defense Ministry in April.

Both West Bank Jewish communities are located within the settlement blocs. Israel believes that both settlements will be included in Israel permanent borders once an final status agreement is reached with the Palestinians.

New construction in both communities has effectively been frozen, since both settlements had began work on all of their authorized housing.



No new houses were begun in Beitar Illit in the first quarter of 2011

Beitar Illit, which is the second largest settlement city with a population of over 35,000 in 2009 according to the Central Bureau of Statistics, was not able to start work on new homes in the first quarter of 2011, because it lacked new permits.

Karnei Shomron, which in 2009 had a population of 6,200 according to the CBS, has not had new building permits for the last nine years. 

Its Regional Council head, Herzl Ben-Ari told The Jerusalem Post, that he saw the ministry's decision to authorize new tenders as a sign that it believed his settlement would in fact remain part of Israel.

"It is a very significant move," he said. Still, he noted that his settlements needs anywhere between 420 to 1,500 new homes, as a such 42 new houses, "are just a drop in the bucket."

Dani Dayan, who heads the Council of Jewish Communities of Judea, Samaria and the Gaza Strip, said that the tenders, "were a very small step" that were "long overdue."

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN