Netanyahu will not attend Mandela memorial

PMO cites high costs of short-notice trip, special security arrangements; unclear who will represent Israel at funeral.

By JPOST.COM STAFF,
December 8, 2013 22:56
1 minute read.
Netanyahu informs Peres that new gov't has been formed at President's Residence in J'lem, March 16

Netanyahu and Peres 370. (photo credit: Koby Gideon/GPO)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu announced on Sunday that he will not travel to South Africa for the memorial of freedom fighter Nelson Mandela on Tuesday.

A source at the Prime Minister's office said the trip is too expensive and that there were "logistical concerns" preventing the prime minister from attending.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The short-notice trip, combined with complex security arrangements due to the many participants expected at the memorial, have upped the costs of the trip, Israeli media reported.

A preliminary assessment showed such a trip would cost some NIS 7 million.

It is still unclear which Israeli representative will attend the ceremony in their stead.

Fifty-nine other foreign heads of state or government have said so far they will attend either the memorial ceremony or the state funeral of Nelson Mandela in South Africa in the coming week.

US President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle were expected to attend the funeral, as well as former US president George W. Bush and his wife Laura. Former American president Bill Clinton will also attend Mandela events in South Africa, but his travel plans have not been announced.



A foreign ministry spokesman told Reuters that the final number of who would attend either Tuesday's memorial in Johannesburg or the funeral in Qunu next Sunday would be confirmed in due course.

It remained unclear whether President Shimon Peres would attend the ceremony.

Reuters and Greer Fay Cashman contributed to this report.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN