PA reiterates threat to take Israel to ICC

Israeli official says gov't has made clear to Palestinians that they “would pay a price” if they brought a complaint to the ICC.

By
January 25, 2013 01:35
1 minute read.
Mahmoud Abbas and Yasser Abed Rabbo [file photo]

Mahmoud Abbas and Yasser Abed Rabbo 311 (R). (photo credit: Nasser Nuri/Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Palestinian Authority on Thursday repeated its threat to file charges against Israel at the International Criminal Court.

PLO Secretary-General Yasser Abed Rabbo said that Israel’s “increased crimes against our people will prompt the Palestinian leadership to go to international agencies in wake of the recent UN General Assembly’s vote in favor of upgrading the Palestinians’ status.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Speaking to reporters in Ramallah, Abed Rabbo said that the PA leadership’s options “to confront Israeli crimes” remain open.

The leadership, he added, will not spare any means to go to international institutions “to punish Israel for its crimes.”

He said that the UN General Assembly’s vote permits the Palestinians to take such a step.

Abed Rabbo called for escalating “popular and peaceful” activities against Israel and hailed the recent establishment of a Palestinian tent outpost near Ma’aleh Adumim.

The PLO official said that the PA leadership was serious in its efforts to end its dispute with Hamas. He added that the two parties have already begun moving toward implementing previous reconciliation accords to end the split between the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.



One Israeli government official said that Israel did not want to see the Palestinians “adopt unilateral provocative steps,” but would react if they did.

He said the government has made clear to the Palestinians that they “would pay a price” if they brought a complaint to the ICC, though he refrained from spelling out what that price would be.

“They have no illusions, and are well aware there would be consequences,” he said.

The Israeli official said that in addition to punitive measures being considered, the government was also weighing legal responses in the event the Palestinians were to carry out their threat.

“What is ludicrous is that the same people who talk about international law were only last year shooting rockets at Israel, trying to kill as many civilians as possible, while hiding behind their own civilians – a double war crime,” he said.

The official said that if the ICC allowed Palestinian membership, something now possible as a result of the PA’s successful bid in November to become a non-member observer state in the UN General Assembly, it would likely turn into yet another institution – like the UN Human Rights Council – hijacked to bash Israel.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN