African peanut soup
A delicious new way to use peanut butter in your cooking.
June 27, 2011 14:32
1 minute read.
(photo credit: Courtesy)
AFRICAN PEANUT SOUP
4 tablespoons margarine
1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
2 onions, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/3 cup flour
10 cups chicken stock or Imagine No-Chicken Broth if you want to make it pareve
2 cups non-dairy creamer
½ teaspoon pepper
Harissa sauce (optional)
Roasted sunflower seeds or chopped peanuts (optional)
1. Melt margarine in a medium-sized stockpot over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, peppers and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the flour.
4. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
5. Whisk in the peanut butter, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
6. Add the non-dairy creamer and pepper.
7. Serve hot, topped with one teaspoon of harissa sauce, if desired.
*Can also garnish with chopped peanuts or roasted sunflower seeds.