fettuccine with mushrooms.
(photo credit: Courtesy)
FETTUCCINE ALFREDO WITH MUSHROOMS
1 pound fettuccini
Salt and pepper
8 tablespoons butter, cut into pats, divided
8 ounces loosely packed, finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 1/2-3 cups. I like to grate the fresh Parmesan)
2 packages of mushrooms, sliced (16 ounces total or more to taste)
½ cup marsala wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and 2
Tablespoons of butter. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 -4 minutes. Add the
marsala wine and continue to cook until most of the liquid has boiled
off, about 5 minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Preheat the oven to 200ºF. Place a large shallow serving bowl in the oven to warm.
3. When the water boils, season with salt, add the pasta and cook to al dente.
4. When the pasta is just about done, remove the warm bowl or platter
from the oven. Scatter the butter pats into the warm serving dish. Add
the mushrooms to the dish.
5. Reserve a generous ladle full of the starchy cooking water, then
drain the pasta and place it over the butter; pour the starchy water
over the top. Scatter half of the cheese over the pasta and toss for 1
6. Add more cheese and continue to toss another 2 minutes, until the
pasta is evenly coated and the cheese has melted into the sauce. Serve