Some of the major supermarket chains are selling wines at promotional prices of four bottles for NIS 100 shekels, three for NIS 100 and two for a NIS 100. Furthermore prices in wine shops have never been more competitive. An ideal situation for the adventurous buyer, looking for wines for Rosh Hashana. There are some bargains to be had. Below I give some of my recommendations.ENTRY LEVEL (Up to NIS 35)
SUPER LUXURY NIS 200+
- Barkan Classic Cabernet Sauvignon 2010Bright, fruity and eay drinking from Barkan Winery, the second largest winery in Israel.
- Tishbi French Riesling 2010Aromatic, light and fruity white wine with delicate sweetness. Made from a blend of French Colombard and Emerald Riesling.
- Selected Sparkling Rose NVSalmon pink sparkling wine, with a delicate berry aroma, and a touch of sweetness to add to its beautiful color. It should be served very cold.
- Tabor Shiraz 2010. A deep bright purple colored wine with an aroma of juicy red spicy fruits and a mouth filling flavor. Made by Tabor Winery, situated at Kfar Tabor.
- Private Collection Cabernet Merlot 2010. Full fruit flavor of blackberries and cherries, with hint of vanilla from oak aging. Good structure.
- Binyamina Bin Chardonnay 2010. This is a new style Chardonnay. Appley rather than buttery, refreshing with good acidity rather than fat and full bodied.
- Yogev Malbec Carignan Rose 2010. Light, fresh with a nose of red berries, refreshing acidity. It is made from Malbec and Carignan grapes. The perfect summer wine.
- Carmel Appellation Merlot 2007. Fruit forward aroma of ripe plums, blueberries and cherries, and well integrated oak flavors. This is the one with a cartoon camel on the label.
- Dalton Petite Sirah 2009. A dark, almost black colored wine with an aroma of violets, black fruits, and black pepper, a mouth filling flavor and a long spicy, finish.
- Yaffo Chardonnay 2010. A fresh, apply Chardonnay with tropical fruit notes produced by Yaffo, a young quality boutique family winery.
- Teperberg Terra Sauvignon Blanc 2010. Aromatic dry wine with notes of citrus and grapefruit, and a pronounced acidity. Refreshing.
- Recanati Reserve Wild Vine Carignan 2009. Made from Carignan bush vines. The wine is deep colored with extraordinary depth of flavor, aromas of blackberry & blackcurrent. Powerful, concentrated & complex..
- Yatir Merlot Shiraz Cabernet 2008. A rich, full bodied, sun drenched wine from Yatir Forest vineyards. The wine is made by Yatir Winery at Tel Arad. Red and black berry fruit & Mediterranean herbs.
- Recanati Special Reserve 2008. Four time gold medal winner. The flagship of Recanati winery. A complex blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Franc and Petite Sirah. A serious, quality wine which will not disappoint.
- Bravdo Coupage 2009. This is a special blend of Cabernet Franc, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon from the Karmei Yosef Winery. It full bodied, with delicate blackcurrant nose with good tannins and a oaky backdrop.
SUPER LUXURY NIS 200+
- Barkan Superieur Cabernet Sauvignon 2007. A gold medal winner in France. This is the de luxe wine of Barkan Winery, made 100% from Cabernet Sauvignon, aged for 21 months in oak. Cassis and raspberry nose, with a hint of bitter chocolate. Big wine which needs time to open.