Fetus dies after 'coming back to life' in North

Family preparing female fetus for burial see signs of life, rushes it to Haemek Hospital.

July 27, 2009 08:35
fetus 88

fetus 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A female fetus that was pronounced dead Sunday and found to be living while being prepared for burial later that night, died at Afula's Haemek Hospital in the early hours of Monday morning. The fetus and its male twin, delivered in the mother's 22nd week of pregnancy at a hospital in Nazareth, were both pronounced dead shortly after birth and meant to be buried in the northern village Ichsal. As the family prepared the bodies for burial Sunday night, the father noticed signs of life in the female fetus and an uncle rushed it to the home of Dr. Aziz Daraushe, director of Haemek's intensive care unit and an Ichsal resident. Daraushe confirmed that the fetus was alive and transferred it to Haemek Hospital, where a senior member of staff of the Neonatology Intensive Care Unit received it and attempted to stabilize its vital organs. The fetus, however, died a few hours later. Police were investigating the possibility of medical negligence at the Nazareth hospital.

Related Content

[illustrative photo]
September 24, 2011
Diabetes may significantly increase risk of dementia