Toddler undergoes surgery after swallowing magnets

Boy was rushed to hospital by his parents after suffering from stomach pains and vomiting.

By
June 2, 2009 00:38
Toddler undergoes surgery after swallowing magnets

baby 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A three-and-a-half-year-old boy who swallowed two circular magnets has been saved at Emek Medical Center in Afula. The boy was rushed to the hospital a few days ago by his parents after suffering from stomach pains and vomiting. When asked about possible causes, the father remembered buying a game with marble-shaped magnets for his son, and said it was possible the child had swallowed some. Dr. Bassam Kauar, head of the pediatric surgery department, said X-rays confirmed the presence of the magnets and the need for urgent surgery. The magnets had connected with each other powerfully, causing tears in the youngster's intestines at four different points. This endangered his life as the digested food inside his stomach was in danger of causing serious infection. In surgery, the magnets were removed and the torn intestines were sewn together. The boy's condition has reportedly improved. Kauar said that every year, dozens of children need surgery after swallowing foreign objects. He called on parents to prevent their young children from having access to small objects, be they small pieces from children's games or even hard pieces of food.

Related Content

[illustrative photo]
September 24, 2011
Diabetes may significantly increase risk of dementia

By UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN HEALTH SYSTEM