Watch out, the snakes are waking up

Never cut the poison to suck it out or give the victim liquor or painkillers.

By
May 24, 2009 20:12
1 minute read.
Watch out, the snakes are waking up

snake bites 224.88. (photo credit: Piet Spaans)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The warm season brings mosquitos and snakes. Over the weekend, Toar Gabbai, a three-year-old girl from Rehovot, arrived at the city's Kaplan Medical Center suffering from major swelling around her eyes and her forehead, giving her a frightening face. Her feet and hands had also ballooned. Dr. Dalia Steger, a hospital pediatrician, found that the cause was a mosquito bite in a public park that caused a serious allergic reaction and infection. The toddler required intravenous antibiotic treatment for several day. Steger said that other insects can cause similar reactions, due to high pressure on blood vessels that can even cause necrosis. Meanwhile, a 30-year-old man from Hatzor Haglilit was bitten on the back of his heel by a snake while on a trek near the Jordan River. He was in moderate condition in the intensive care unit of Safed's Ziv Hospital. Doctors gave him a snake antidote. Dr. Amar Hussein, head of the emergency medicine department, urged people to be aware of the fact that poisonous snakes are waking up from their winter slumber and that their glands are full of toxin. As they hide in grassy areas and near rocks, one should never put a foot or arm near such places. Snakebite causes weakness, reduced blood pressure, blood hemorrhages, nausea or vomiting as well as swelling of the affected limb. The only safe first aid is to attach a stick or other object to the limb so it doesn't move and to call Magen David Adom at 101. It is urgent to identify the type of snake and remember its description so doctors will know how to treat the patient, the physician said. In another incident, a 17-month-old toddler from Kafr Kara was rushed to Hillel Jaffe Medical Center in Hadera after inhaling a peanut that he had intended to eat. His father immediately understood from his coughing that he was choking and started to resuscitate him after calling MDA. In an X-ray, the cause was found to be the peanut lodged in his lung. The peanut was removed in the surgical theater, and the child was hospitalized for observation. Hillel Jaffe doctors warn parents to keep all small objects, including food, away from children up to the age of four.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

[illustrative photo]
September 24, 2011
Diabetes may significantly increase risk of dementia

By UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN HEALTH SYSTEM