Woman dies at Sheba after getting incompatible transfusion

August 5, 2009 10:37


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An 80-year-old woman died at Sheba Medical Center after she was mistakenly infused with blood of an incompatible type, the Tel Hashomer hospital disclosed on Sunday morning.

Sheba administrators immediately informed the Health Ministry, which will set up its own investigation committee to look into the tragedy.

The woman, from the center of the country, arrived after midnight for emergency vascular surgery aimed at saving her two legs.

But during the operation, "an unfortunate human error occurred" in which she was given a type of blood not compatible with her own, the hospital spokesman said.

When the error was realized, efforts were made to resuscitate the patient for a long period, but they failed, and doctors had to declare her death.

A statement was given to her family "in the transparency that characterizes the hospital," the spokesman said. Then the ministry and the press were notified.

The hospital's own initial investigation suggested that an anesthesiologist failed to observe the required procedures. She has been suspended from all work at the hospital for two weeks.

Sheba expressed its sorrow and condolences to the family.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

[illustrative photo]
September 24, 2011
Diabetes may significantly increase risk of dementia