Boy suffers second-degree burns as result of dangerous game

Internet "game" includes setting steel wool alight to make sparks; doctors say boy was lucky vital organs weren't hurt.

By
December 17, 2013 16:39
1 minute read.
Assaf Mizrahi, 13, who suffered second-degree burns after playing dangerous online game.

Boy with burnt face 370. (photo credit: Courtesy photo from Kaplan Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

Surgeons at Kaplan Medical Center in Rehovot are warning against a dangerous “game” spreading via the Internet, setting steel wool alight to make sparks that causes skin burns.

Assaf Mizrahi, a 13-year-old boy from Ness Ziona, suffered second-degree burns to his face when he tried the “experiment” out on Monday. His doctors said he was lucky that major bodily systems were not harmed.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“I felt that my face was melting. Now that it happened, I wanted children to see what happened to my face so they will not do it,” Mizrahi said, as his parents agreed to the publication of his photos.



Brought to the emergency room with serious burns on his face, he was admitted to the plastic surgery department where he was treated him and doctors tried to prevent a bacterial infection.

Mizrahi told the doctors that a friend of his, who saw the “game” online, lit the steel wool and threw it on the ground. Mizrahi picked it up as it burned, and sparks hit his face. There are videos and whole web sites that show the “fireworks” caused by the burning steel filaments.

It was not the first time that he and his friends had been playing this “game,” he admitted.



Dr. David Mendez, a plastic surgeon at Kaplan, said the boy had burns spread over his forehead, eyelids, nose and cheek. He needed painkillers, as well as creams to prevent irreversible damage to his face.

“Assaf had a lot of luck that his trachea, nose, eyes and other organs were not permanently hurt,” Mendez said. “I call on children, their parents and teachers to avoid contact with burning steel wool. As the filaments are so thin, they reach high temperatures very fast and can cause much damage.”

Mizrahi took to Facebook to warn other children not to try it. “I learned my lesson. This game could have ended with a much worse situation, so I decided to be an ambassador of goodwill so children will not be hurt.”


Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH