Broken spoon sends toddler to ER

Three-year-old runs to sidewalk with plastic spoon in mouth, falls and cup of spoon breaks off, getting stuck in his throat.

By
August 1, 2011 03:41
1 minute read.
X-Ray shows spoon lodged in 3-year-old's throat.

spoon in throat_311. (photo credit: Courtesy of Emek Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Having a silver spoon in one’s mouth may be lucky, but not a disposable, plastic version lodged in one’s throat.

Three-year-old Ehud was leaving his day-care center with a cup of ice cream when, upon arriving home, he ran to the sidewalk with the plastic spoon in his mouth, fell and the cup of the spoon broke off, becoming stuck in his throat.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


He had difficulty breathing, said doctors at Emek Medical Center in Afula, where he was rushed by ambulance with his parents.

Dr. Dror Ashkenazi, an ear-nose-and-throat expert, saw that the base of the spoon was blocking his airways. He stuck a finger into the toddler’s throat carefully and managed to move the plastic piece to the side to allow respiration.

His life was no longer threatened, said Ashkenazi. Using an endoscope suited specially for children as Ehud was put under general anesthesia, the doctor pulled out the spoon.

The boy was transferred late last week to the recovery room and then to the pediatrics department. He was discharged on Sunday, to the satisfaction of his parents.

The doctors urged parents not to allow young children to run while they have a foreign object in their mouth.

Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH