Girl saved at Hadera hospital after she inhales hat pin

3.5-centimeter-long sharp hat pin was extracted by doctors at Hillel Jaffe Medical Center.

By
October 15, 2013 19:36
1 minute read.
Prof. Braverman with hat pin and patient.

Prof. Braverman with hat pin and patient 370. (photo credit: Courtesy Hillel Jaffe Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A 16-year-old girl who inhaled a 3.5-centimeter-long sharp hat pin while laughing was rescued by doctors at Hillel Jaffe Medical Center in Hadera on Monday night.

The teen, from Baka al-Gharbiya, was treated by Associate Prof. Yitzhak Braverman, head of the Ear, Nose and Throat and Head and Neck Surgery Unit, who pulled the pin out of her vocal cords where it was stuck and nearly blocked her trachea.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


She had worn the pin to hold her head scarf and held the sharp object in her mouth to reorder the scarf. Suddenly, she inhaled the pin when she laughed. Braverman was alerted and asked to come in because of the very problematic location of the pin and at an angle that made it likely that it could fall into her trachea. The procedure of inserting an opticfiber endoscope was performed under local anesthetic and Braverman managed to pull it out.

Braverman said it wasn’t the first time that he encountered such an incident. He recommended that when women arrange their scarves not to hold pins in their mouths. The same is true for bobby pins. In some cases, general anesthesia is needed for surgery, which could end in death.

Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH