Hot dog stuck in trachea sends boy to hospital in critical condition

When paramedics arrived, the five year old was without a pulse after a piece of a hot dog became stuck in his airway.

By
April 16, 2014 17:30
1 minute read.
MDA

MDA Ambulance. (photo credit: WIkicommons)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A five-year-old boy from Bnei Ayish, near Gedera, is fighting for his life after choking on a hot dog that he ate at the home of neighbors on Tuesday night. Doctors at Kaplan Medical Center in Rehovot were trying to save the boy, who on Wednesday was in critical but stable condition.

The boy was eating hot dogs at a neighbors’ house, along with their daughter. When the food became stuck in his trachea and he turned blue, the neighbors called Magen David Adom. Paramedics took him to the hospital after performing resuscitation. Doctors worked all night to stabilize his condition.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The boy’s mother recalled that a few minutes after he began eating the hot dogs, the neighbor rushed over to say it was stuck and that she couldn’t pull it out. Dr. Eli Shapira, head of the pediatric intensive care unit, said the boy was in a state of clinical death, without a pulse, at the time when MDA paramedics arrived, resuscitated him and brought him to the emergency room. He was attached to a ventilator and anesthetized at the hospital after doctors worked to save him.

Children up to the age of six should not be given hot dogs or other foods (or objects) that can go down the trachea instead of the esophagus and block the air tube. All hot dog packages have a such a warning printed on them. Instead, frankfurters should be cut lengthwise instead of into rounds.

Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH