viper, snake, cobra_311.
(photo credit: Kaplan Medical Center)
A 50-year-old man vacationing at Lake Kinneret was bitten by a poisonous snake
and died on Friday night, Magen David Adom announced. The rare tragedy occurred
near the Hukkok Beach.
MDA said that hot weather causes snakes and
scorpions to come out of hiding. It was alerted at 9 p.m. and sent an ambulance
team headed by paramedic Taleb Abdullah, senior medic Ariel Krieger and five
The central Israel resident collapsed after being bitten on his
hand, said family members, who were not able to photograph the snake or say what
type it was. The team performed advanced resuscitation but were unable to save
Krieger said the location was an undeclared beach and that access to
the place – which was full of rocks and weeds, was difficult. It was also
completely dark. As the MDA team couldn’t see around them, they feared that the
snake would return.
MDA reiterated its advice regarding snakes and
scorpions: Wear high boots if you have to go into areas with high grasses and
Do not move any rocks because the creatures may be hiding
underneath or behind them. Near homes, cut grass and remove stones and other
If someone is bitten, lie him down and do not allow the
victim to move. Call MDA at 101. Do not suck the venom out or cut the
Do not give the victim alcohol. Do not cool the bitten area.
Photograph the pattern on the snake’s back or even draw it. Do not try to catch
In the event of a scorpion bite, of which there are 21 kinds
dangerous to humans, keep the limb stationary and call MDA. Follow instructions
until the team arrive. Calm the victim down.