‘Keep candles out of kindergarten Shabbat parties’

Mother, medical center call on government to halt practice of lighting shabbat candles after girls suffers serious burns.

By
September 24, 2012 01:03
1 minute read.
ORIENNE sits with nurse

ORIENNE sits with nurse 370. (photo credit: Kaplan Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

After a little girl from Ashdod suffered serious skin burns and her dress caught fire while lighting Shabbat candles in her kindergarten on Friday, her mother and Kaplan Medical Center doctors called on the government to halt the practice by replacing them with virtual electric “candles.”

The five-year-old girl’s mother and physicians said that it was very risky for lit candles to be handled by small children during kindergarten ceremonies demonstrating how to make Shabbat – and that the custom has led to injuries.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Orinne, the injured girl, was set afire by the candle, and she suffered second-degree burns on her chest and abdomen on the right side. The girl got up to hand out the halla and sweets when a spark from the candles set her dress afire.

Treatment at Kaplan was successful, but it is complicated and very painful. The doctors saved her life, said her mother, Eleanor.

Now the girl will need longterm rehabilitation for her burns injury, including high doses of vitamins and proteins, creams and changes of bandages.

“I call on all kindergarten teachers to use electric candles to prevent the next case from occurring,” the mother pleaded.

Dr. Uri Schulman, a plastic surgeon, commented that “apparently, the kindergarten teachers swift actions prevented a greater tragedy. It was a deep burn, and if there isn’t satisfactory progress, we will have to use surgery to give her skin transplants.”

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Demonstrating the lighting of Shabbat candles, he said, can be done behind class, without the children being close, or with electric candles that do not burn.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH