Swallowed hijab pin removed from girl

Girl rushed to Petah Tikva emergency room after being scared by insect, causing her to swallow pin.

By JUDY SIEGEL
December 11, 2011 23:26
1 minute read.
AN X-RAY of the pin in the girl’s stomach.

Hijab pin 311. (photo credit: (Courtesy Schneider Children’s Medical Center))

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A “pearl”-topped hat pin that a 17-year old girl held between her teeth to arrange her hijab was extricated from her stomach at Schneider Children’s Medical Center after she accidentally swallowed it.

The girl was saved from bleeding and serious complications last week. The girl rushed to the emergency room of the Petah Tikva hospital. She told the doctors that when she was fixing her hijab and held the pin in her mouth, she saw an insect climbing on the wall that scared her and led to her swallow the roundheaded pin.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Under general anesthetic the pin was carefully pulled out of her stomach and into her throat with a “noose” holding the head of the pin. The doctors used a special implement to remove it completely. She quickly recovered and was discharged to her home in good condition.

Dr. Noam Zabit said the phenomenon of Muslim women and girls swallowing pins is quite common. In most cases, the pin passes through the digestive system without complications, but it can sometimes cause bleeding, pain and infection, he said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH