Mavi Marmara docked at Ashdod

500 activists on board will be arrested or deported.

May 31, 2010 20:49
1 minute read.
Flotilla activist weilding knife

Flotilla activist weilding knife 311. (photo credit: Courtesy)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Mavi Marmara, docked at Ashdod on Monday evening and the process of removing the remaining activists has begun.

The Mavi Marmara is the Gaza flotilla ship on which deadly fighting took place, leading to the death of nine activists.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

‘They came for war’
Barak: Flotilla organizers to blame

The 500 activists still on board the ship have been concentrated in its bows under guard by anti-terror Police and Navy soldiers. The activists will be asked to identify themselves after which they will be deported from Israel.

Internal Security Ministry Yitzhak Aharonowitz told Channel 10 news on Monday evening that "so far they have disembarked peacefully and no problems are expected in removing activists".  He went on to say that "everyone will be checked by doctors and those who want to leave will be deported, those who don't want to will be arrested."

The soldiers who were beaten are being asked to identify the activists who attacked them and those activists are expected to be put on trial.

 Those who refuse to identify will be arrested and sent to Be'er Sheva prison.

Many wounded activists have been sent to Hadassa where the hospital management reported many gun shot wounds.  The hospitalized activists were under military police guard.

The remaining five ships docked at Ashdod as requested and have followed IDF instructions.

Related Content

October 31, 2017
Bitan assures US Jewish leaders that Kotel crisis will be resolved