10 French soldiers missing as military helicopter crashes off Gabon

By
January 18, 2009 07:56

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A helicopter with 10 French soldiers aboard crashed off the coast of Gabon in central Africa, the French president's office said Saturday night. It was not immediately clear whether there were any survivors. French President Nicolas Sarkozy's office said in a statement that "all available means" would be deployed to search for those aboard the helicopter. The statement says Sarkozy immediately dispatched Defense Minister Herve Morin to the crash site. The helicopter was carrying out joint military exercises with Gabon when it went down. In Gabon, French military spokesman Lt. Col. Pascal Carpentier said the helicopter went down around 8 p.m. off the coast of the economic capital, Port Gentil, southwest of Libreville. It was not known what caused the chopper to plunge into the frigid sea, Carpentier said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Spokesperson Heather Nauert (L) speaks as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
December 12, 2018
Effort to thwart Iranian missiles 'futile' so far, Pompeo says

By MICHAEL WILNER