44 killed in Turkey engagement ceremony attack

Interior minister: Rampage appears to be the result of a blood feud rather than a terrorist attack.

By
May 5, 2009 09:56
44 killed in Turkey engagement ceremony attack

turkey wedding attack 248 88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Turkish security forces on Tuesday detained eight gunmen suspected of fatally shooting 44 people, many of whom were praying, at an engagement ceremony in the rural southeast of the country. Masked assailants with automatic weapons attacked the celebration Monday night in the village of Bilge, near the city of Mardin, in what appeared to be the result of a family feud, Interior Minister Besir Atalay said. Blood feuds occasionally happen among families in the region, where tribal ties and rivalries can eclipse the power of the state. On Tuesday morning, four large earth-movers were seen digging graves for the victims in the village. Police allowed friends and relatives to enter Bilge, but journalists were kept out. Authorities also cut telephone communication with the village. The dead included the engaged couple, and six other people were wounded. Two girls survived after the bodies of slain friends fell on top of them. Reports said the gunmen opened fire as men and women prayed in separate rooms in line with tradition in parts of Turkey. Turkish media initially described the gathering as "dugun," a term for a wedding celebration. However, Atalay and media outlets later used the term "nisan," which refers to an engagement ceremony. Atalay said eight suspects were in custody, and that some of their family names were the same as those of the victims. "They were caught with their weapons," he said. "The first indications are that it was the result of disputes, of animosity among relatives, within a family in the village." Citing unidentified authorities, CNN-Turk television said the attack may have occurred because one of the gunmen wanted to marry the engaged woman himself and he opposed the marriage. It said there was a family tie between the assailants and the couple who were killed. NTV television, citing deputy Gov. Ferhat Ozen, earlier said the motive for the attack could be a feud between rival groups of pro-government village guards, who fight alongside Turkish troops against Kurdish rebels. Like many other villages in the region, Bilge has a number of guards. Atalay had earlier said the attack had left 45 dead, but later corrected the toll to 44 dead. He said the dead included six children and 16 women. Mehmet Besir Ayanoglu, the mayor of Mardin, told Channel 24 that he spoke to two survivors, both girls, who said at least two masked men stormed a house where the ceremony took place. "They raided the house, we were in two rooms, they opened fire on everyone, they were wearing masks," Ayanoglu quoted the girls as saying. The girls said they lay underneath the bodies of friends until the attack was over. Seyhmus Balik, whose house is one kilometer (half a mile) from the village, told AP Television that he heard gunshots. After a short lull, he heard another round of gunshots, leading him to believe that the gunmen were firing on the injured. Balik said most village guards had left Bilge at the time of the attack to assist Turkish troops in an operation against Kurdish rebels in a nearby region. The attack occurred during the engagement ceremony of the daughter of Cemil Celebi, a former village official who was among the wounded. The daughter, Sevgi Celebi, her fiance, Habib Ari, his mother and sister were all killed, as was the Islamic cleric who was presiding over the ceremony. The Anatolia news agency said the attack lasted for 15 minutes. For years, Turkey has struggled over how to trim the 70,000-strong village guard force without releasing masses of trained fighters onto the streets of the southeast, where unemployment in some areas reaches 50 percent. The military has purged thousands of village guards suspected of favoring Kurdish rebels fighting for autonomy in the southeast. Several hundred guards have also faced criminal charges. The conflict between Kurdish guerrillas and government forces has killed tens of thousands of people since 1984.Masked assailants attacked a wedding ceremony in southeastern Turkey with automatic weapons, killing 44 people, including the bride and groom, and wounding six others. Two girls survived after the bodies of slain friends fell on top of them. Interior Minister Besir Atalay said Tuesday security forces had detained eight suspected gunmen following the attack in the village of Bilge, near the city of Mardin, the previous evening. The attack appeared to be the result of a blood feud and not a terrorist attack, Atalay said. Blood feuds are common among families in the region where tribal ties and rivalries sometimes eclipse the power of the state. Private NTV television, citing deputy Gov. Ferhat Ozen, said the motive for the attack could be a feud between rival groups of pro-government village guards who fight alongside Turkish troops against Kurdish rebels in the region. If that is the case, the government would come under renewed pressure to rein in the militiamen, some of whom have been linked to drug smuggling and other crimes. Atalay had earlier said the attack had left 45 dead, but later corrected the toll to 44 dead. He said the dead included six children. Mehmet Besir Ayanoglu, the mayor of Mardin, told Channel 24 that he spoke to two survivors, both girls, who said at least two masked men stormed a house where the wedding took place. "They raided the house, we were in two rooms, they opened fire on everyone, they were wearing masks,"' Ayanoglu quoted the girls as saying. The girls said they lay underneath the bodies of friends until the attack was over. The attack occurred during the wedding of the daughter of Cemil Celebi, a former village official who was among the wounded. The bride, Sevgi Celebi, the groom, Habib Ari, his mother and sister were all killed, as was the Islamic cleric who was presiding over the marriage. The Anatolia news agency said the attack lasted for 15 minutes. Ahmet Can, a relative who took the body of his nephew to a hospital, said the site of the attack was horrifying. "You could not believe your eyes, it is unbelievable," he told Turkey's Channel 24. Earlier reports said the assailants hurled hand grenades but local official Aytac Akgul said they had attacked with automatic weapons only. The attack killed an entire family, including the parents and their six children, aged between 3 and 12. One survivor, a 19-year-old woman, said the assailants ordered people to huddle in one room and opened fire, NTV said. Another report said the attack occurred when people were praying at the house. Some guards responded to the attack but the assailants fled, NTV said. Ambulances took at least 17 bodies to the morgue of a hospital in Mardin, said Aytac Akgul, a local official. Hundreds of relatives of the victims gathered there, wailing in distress. Several people offered to donate blood. State television said soldiers surrounded the village and cut all roads leading to it. It said there was no power in the village and it could not be reached by telephone. Journalists were barred from traveling to Bilge. For years, Turkey has struggled over how to trim the 70,000-strong village guard force without releasing masses of trained fighters onto the streets of the southeast, where unemployment in some areas reaches 50 percent. The system is one of the few lucrative sources of employment in the region. The military has purged thousands of village guards suspected of favoring Kurdish rebels fighting for autonomy in the southeast. Several hundred guards have also faced criminal charges. Many rebels and guardsmen are from the same villages or clans. Most guardsmen are poor villagers, and local residents and activists say some were forced to join against their will. Others were signed up by politically powerful clan leaders allied with the state. The conflict between Kurdish guerrillas and government forces has killed tens of thousands of people since 1984.

Related Content

France's Kylian Mbappe celebrates scoring their fourth goal with teammates, July 15, 2018
July 15, 2018
France overpowers Croatia to win World Cup

By REUTERS