7 dead in Uganda cargo plane crash

By
March 9, 2009 10:07

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Seven people were killed after a cargo plane caught fire and crashed into Lake Victoria near Uganda's main airport on Monday, an army spokesman said. Maj. Felix Kulaigye said a Burundian, a Ugandan and a South African were among the dead. Four crew members whose nationalities are unknown were also killed. Kulaigye said eyewitnesses reported seeing the plane catch fire in the air before it crashed into the lake. It was carrying a cargo of water purifiers, pipes and other equipment, he said. Police spokeswoman Judith Nabakooba said the plane crashed near Bugunga Island and a team of police had been sent to the site. An official from the Uganda Civil Aviation Authority, Vianny Lugya, said the minister of transport will issue a statement shortly.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
November 18, 2018
Khashoggi killers possibly took his dismembered body out of country

By REUTERS