8 killed after blast rips through Cyprus military base

Cause of explosion unclear; Evangelos Florakis navy base had stored munitions captured aboard vessel sailing from Iran to Syria in 2009.

By REUTERS
July 11, 2011 10:37
1 minute read.
Emergency crews at entrance to Cyprus navy base.

Cyprus blast 311. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

NICOSIA - At least eight people were killed and dozens injured in a massive blast which ripped through a military base in Cyprus on Monday and shut down the island's largest power plant.

The explosion was thought to have occurred in a munitions dump storing confiscated Iranian weapons in the Cypriot Evangelos Florakis navy base on the island's south coast.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Fire from the blast spread to Vassilikos, an electricity facility which provides Cyprus with half of its power.

"We can't assess the extent of the damage, but it's a biblical disaster," spokesman Costas Gavrielides told Reuters.

Police and army officials gave little detail about the incident which happened just before 0300 GMT. The official Cyprus News Agency reported at least eight people had been killed, and dozens hurt.

"There are a number of dead which we cannot confirm yet," a spokesperson for Cyrpus's ministry of defense said.

Ambulances were seen rushing to the scene, while hospitals all over the island issued emergency appeals for blood.

The military base stored munitions from the Monchegorsk, which Cyprus intercepted sailing from Iran to Syria in 2009 after pressure from the US, confiscating its cargo for being in violation of UN sanctions on Iran.



The intensity of the blast caused extensive damage to property nearby and to a popular tourist resort 3 km away, where windows and doors of beachside restaurants were blown out.

Related Content

Angela Merkel
August 21, 2018
More refugees find jobs in Germany, integration going 'pretty well'

By REUTERS