Australian police thwart Melbourne bomb plot by radicalized teen

The bomb squad moved three improvised explosive devices to a nearby park where they were "rendered safe" and said there was no longer a threat to the community.

By REUTERS
May 9, 2015 06:26
2 minute read.
Melbourne, Australia

Melbourne, Australia. (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Australian police said on Saturday they had thwarted an imminent terror attack after discovering explosives at a Melbourne home and arresting a 17-year-old boy, in the latest example of the threat posed by radicalized teenagers in the country.

Acting on a tip-off from the national security phone line, police and security agencies began investigating the youth and later raided his home in Greenvale, 20 kms (12 miles) north of Melbourne, on Friday when the threat was "imminent."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The bomb squad moved three improvised explosive devices to a nearby park where they were "rendered safe" and said there was no longer a threat to the community, police told a news conference.

The teen, who cannot be identified due to his age, was charged with terrorism-related offenses and remanded in custody to appear before the Children's Court in a closed sitting on Monday, police said.

The boy's family were described by police as "caring" and "very, very distraught" over the arrest.

"These are extremely serious offenses and they did involve the use of improvised explosive devices," federal police deputy commissioner Mike Phelan told reporters.

"Had we not intervened, there was a real threat of action being taken."

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Police said an investigation was under way and declined to say whether the incident had any links to Islamic extremism.

They did confirm, however, that there was no link to last month's terror raids in Melbourne and the subsequent arrest of five teenagers over the planning of an Islamic State-inspired terrorist attack against police officers on the national ANZAC day holiday.

Local media reported that the teen had become more active on Facebook in recent weeks, commenting on the war in Syria and that the attack was to take place during the Mother's Day Classic fun run on Sunday, which attracts tens of thousands of participants in cities around Australia.

"It is deeply troubling to police that such young people in our community are becoming disaffected in the way in which they are and considering endangering the lives of many Australians," Phelan said.

Australia, a staunch ally of the United States and its action against the Islamic State group in Syria and Iraq, raised the national terror threat level to "high" for the first time last September.

"We know that we face a very serious terror threat," Prime Minister Tony Abbott told reporters in Darwin on Saturday.

"It's important that we don't underestimate the terror threat but it's also important that we keep it in perspective."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Yitzhak Rabin
September 22, 2018
The Olso Agreement was assassinated with Rabin

By JPOST.COM STAFF