Berlusconi will not seek re-election in 2013

Italian PM faces numerous legal battles and scandals, rejects all charges against him and vows to remain involved in politics.

By REUTERS, JPOST.COM STAFF
April 14, 2011 12:09
1 minute read.
Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi

berlusconi 311. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi will not run for re-election when his current term runs out in 2013 and on Wednesday named his likely successor, Sicilian Justice Minister Angelino Alfano.

Berlusconi, whose political career has been marked by a series of scandals, is currently facing several legal battles, including "Rubygate," the accusation that he paid for sex with an underage Moroccan dancer.

RELATED:
Berlusconi's sex trial opened and immediately adjourned
Berlusconi to skip opening of 'Ruby' trial

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


In confidential remarks to foreign journalists Tuesday that were leaked to Italian news agencies, the 74-year-old premier said magistrates had declared war on the government and represented a "cancer" on the Italian system.

He rejected all the charges against him and pledged to see out his remaining term in office until 2013. After that, he said he may not seek re-election but could remain as a sort of behind-the-scenes father figure on the center-right.

His spokesman Paulo Banaiuti was quoted by Italian news agency ANSA as saying the remarks were merely hypothetical and did not reflect any concrete plan.

Berlusconi's attacks on the magistrates and the bill on trials voted in parliament coincides with the launch of several cases against the prime minister.

The trials were previously suspended by a measure passed by his government which allowed him to claim that his official duties meant he did not have enough time to prepare his defense and could therefore claim immunity from trial while in office.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The constitutional court ruled against that measure in January, prompting magistrates to re-open fraud and bribery trials and bring the prostitution case to court.

Following approval in the lower house, the measure will go to the Senate, where Berlusconi's center-right government has a majority, for final approval.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

 World War Two Norwegian resistance fighter Joachim Roenneberg holds up a Union flag, which had been
October 21, 2018
World War II hero who prevented Nazis from getting nuclear bomb dies

By REUTERS