Boeing unveils new anti-missile concept

Interceptor would be flown to NATO when needed, resolving US-Russia dispute over sites in Europe.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 20, 2009 10:45
1 minute read.
Boeing unveils new anti-missile concept

Iran Sajjil-2 missile 248.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

In a bid to allay Russian fears of possible US missile-defense sites in Europe, Boeing has unveiled a proposal to build a mobile interceptor missile, Reuters reported Thursday. The 47,500-pound interceptor could be flown to NATO bases when required on Boeing-built C-17 cargo planes, swiftly put up on a 60-foot trailer stand and removed when safe, according to the report. "If a fixed site is going to be just too hard to get implemented, politically or otherwise, we didn't want people to think that the only way you needed to use a GBI was in a fixed silo," Greg Hyslop, Boeing's vice president and general manager for missile defense, told Reuters at a US Army-sponsored missile-defense conference in Huntsville, Alabama. Boeing had just started briefing the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency on the proposal, Hyslop said. The project could be completed by 2015, and would probably cost less than had been planned for the silo-based interceptors, he said. On Tuesday, the American Raytheon Corporation said it was developing a land-based version of its existing Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) that could be used to defend Europe, Israel and elsewhere. Army Lieutenant General Patrick O'Reilly, the head of the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency, hailed the SM-3 option Wednesday and was asked about a mobile GBI, Reuters said. "That would be a significant undertaking," he said after a presentation to the conference. "But we are looking for opportunities and the SM-3 is one we focused in on because of its accomplishments." General James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, earlier admitted that the United States had made "a couple of bad assumptions" in missile defense, including the prediction that "the emergence of the intercontinental ballistic missile threat would come much faster than it did" from countries like Iran and North Korea. "The reality is that it has not come as fast as we thought it would come," Cartwright said, adding that currently, the US had the capability to intercept 15 inbound intercontinental ballistic missiles simultaneously with the 30 GBI's being placed in silos at Fort Greely, Alaska, and Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. "That's a heck of a lot more than a rogue" nation could fire, he said.

Related Content

August 14, 2018
BDS claims victory in Tunisia, forcing ‘Israel-linked ship’ from port

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN