Canadian search ends for 16 missing in helicopter crash

By
March 14, 2009 01:14

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Rescuers ended a search for 16 people missing in an Atlantic helicopter crash on Friday evening, saying there was no likelihood of finding survivors. Rescue official Maj. Paul Doucette said crews quit an active search Friday evening, nearly 34 hours after the helicopter went down about 30 miles off the coast of Newfoundland. "We've gone beyond that 24-hour life expectancy time for someone in an immersion suit," Maj. Denis McGuire of the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre said in announcing the end of the search. One survivor and the body of another person were found after the Sikorsky S-92 issued a distress call and ditched into the sea on Thursday. The helicopter had been en route to offshore oil facilities.

Related Content

July 22, 2018
Accused Russian agent Butina met with Stanley Fischer

By REUTERS