Candidate, seven others, killed in Afghan election rally suicide attack

Hundreds of people have been killed or hurt in violence linked to the election.

By REUTERS
October 9, 2018 16:19
1 minute read.
Candidate, seven others, killed in Afghan election rally suicide attack

Smoke rises after a car bomb explosion in Kabul, Afghanistan January 27, 2018 in this image obtained from social media.. (photo credit: NAWEED AHMAD SHAKOORI VIA REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

KABUL- A suicide bomber killed eight people in Afghanistan's southern province of Helmand on Tuesday, including a candidate in upcoming parliamentary elections, the latest in a series of deadly attacks targeting the vote, officials said.

The election candidate, Saleh Mohammad Achekzai, was killed in the blast at an election rally in Lashkar Gah, the capital of Helmand, Omar Zwak, the provincial governor's spokesman confirmed. At least 11 people were wounded.

No group has claimed responsibility for Tuesday's attack in the province bordering Pakistan that has seen some of the fiercest fighting of the Taliban insurgency.

Taliban militants have ramped up attacks in strategic provinces ahead of the Oct. 20 election, and ordered Afghans on Monday to boycott voting, while demanding a complete withdrawal of foreign forces as the only way to end the 17-year-old war.

Hundreds of people have been killed or hurt in violence linked to the election, with two major attacks in the capital, Kabul, in April and in Khost province in May, but security officials say attacks could pick up as polling day nears.

Violence has surged in the run-up to the vote, which militants have vowed to disrupt. At least 13 people were killed and more than 30 injured in a suicide attack at an election rally in the eastern province of Nangarhar this month.


Almost 9 million voters and 2,500 candidates competing for places in the 249-seat lower house have been registered and campaigning officially began late last month.

In addition, one seat is reserved for the Sikh community, which was targeted by a suicide bombing in July.

A spike in militant violence has forced candidates to hold closed-door rallies and avoid mass gatherings.

"An attack on the elections is an attack on the Afghan people," John Bass, the U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, said on social network Twitter.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Young volunteers clear earth from a medieval fortress above Srebrenica, Bosnia, as
February 17, 2019
Voluntourism: The newest trend in travel

By ILANA STUTLAND