'Drop the death penalty,' say parents of Boston Marathon bombing victim

The second phase of Tsarnaev's trial is due to begin Tuesday, when the jury that convicted the ethnic Chechen will decide whether to sentence him to death or life in prison.

By REUTERS
April 18, 2015 09:40
2 minute read.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is pictured in this handout photo

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is pictured in this handout photo presented as evidence by the US Attorney's Office in Boston. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The parents of the boy who was the youngest to die in the attack on the Boston Marathon asked federal prosecutors to abandon their effort to sentence the bomber to death, in a statement on the front page of The Boston Globe on Friday.

Bill and Denise Martin, parents of 8-year-old Martin Richard, instead urged the US Department of Justice to seek a deal in which Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was convicted last week of the 2013 attack, would waive his appeal rights in exchange for a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"We know that the government has its reasons for seeking the death penalty, but the continued pursuit of that punishment could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving the most painful day of our lives," the couple wrote in a statement titled "To end the anguish, drop the death penalty."

The second phase of Tsarnaev's trial is due to begin Tuesday, when the jury that convicted the ethnic Chechen will decide whether to sentence him to death or life in prison.

Prosecutors argue Tsarnaev, 19 years old at the time of the bombing, deserves execution, saying his attack was aimed at punishing the country he moved to a decade before the bombing, an act that he described as taking revenge for US military campaigns in Muslim-dominated countries.

Defense attorneys counter that Tsarnaev was not driven by personal ideology but followed the lead of his older brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev. Tamerlan died following a gunfight with police four days after the April 15, 2013 attack.

Carmen Ortiz, the US attorney for Massachusetts, said that she is aware of the Richards' views and added that she could not specifically comment on the question of whether a deal could be reached with Tsarnaev's attorneys.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


"I care deeply about their views and the views of the other victims and survivors," Ortiz said. "As the case moves forward we will continue to do all we can to protect and vindicate those injured and those who have passed away."

In addition to Richard, the bombing killed Krystle Campbell, 29, and Lingzi Lu, 23. The Tsaranevs shot dead a police officer, Sean Collier, 26, three days later.

Collier's sister this week also asked prosecutors to stop pursuing a death sentence.

William Richard provided some of the most emotionally powerful testimony during Tsarnaev's trial. He described going to the marathon with his three young children and being hurled through the air when one of the two homemade bombs went off.

A composed Richard recounted seeing his two youngest children, Martin and Jane, both grievously injured by the bombing and realizing that he had to triage his own family.

"I knew in my head that I needed to act quickly or we might not only lose Martin, we might lose Jane too," he testified.

Jane lost a leg but survived.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci speaks during interview in Pristina, Kosovo August 14, 2018
September 21, 2018
Kosovo will open embassy in Jerusalem if recognized, president says

By CASSANDRA GOMES-HOCHBERG