MANCHESTER - At least 22 people were killed and more than 50 wounded in an explosion at the end of a concert by US singer Ariana Grande in the British city of Manchester on Monday.
-According to Israeli media, ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, and said in a video they posted online that "This is just the beginning."
-British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Tuesday police and security services knew the identity of the bomber. May, speaking outside her 10 Downing Street official residence, said the authorities were not ready to announce the identity of the attacker. She also said the attacker had carried out the attack alone but it was not yet clear if others had helped in the preparation.
-US President Donald Trump extended his condolences to the victims of the Manchester suicide bombing that killed 22 people and said those behind the attack were "evil losers."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the attack in a statement released Tuesday morning. "The Israeli government strongly condemns the terrible terror attack in Manchester," he said.
"I send condolences to the families of the murdered and wish the wounded a speedy recovery," he continued. Terrorism is a global threat and enlightened countries must work together to defeat it everywhere."
-British police said Tuesday morning that the attacker was carrying a device which he detonated.
-Death toll: British police said 22 people were killed and 59 people had been treated in hospital. A total of 60 ambulances attended the incident. Police reported that children were among those killed.
-The Israeli Foreign Ministry has stated that as of this writing, they know of no Israelis injured in the attack.
-Many of the fans at the concert were young people. The blast sparked panic as thousands of people rushed for the exits, witnesses told Reuters.
-US singer Ariana Grande had just finished a concert at the Manchester Arena, the largest indoor arena in Europe that can hold 21,000 people, when the blast occurred.
-Grande, 23, later said on Twitter: "broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words."
-Parents hunted for missing children after the blast. Many turned to social media to seek loved ones.
"Everyone pls share this, my little sister Emma was at the Ari concert tonight in #Manchester and she isn't answering her phone, pls help me," said one message posted alongside a picture of a blonde-haired girl with flowers in her hair.
-Police said they were called at 10:33 pm after reports of an explosion. Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said police were treating the blast as a terrorist incident and were working with counter-terrorism police and intelligence agencies. They gave no further details on their investigation.
-It is unclear where exactly the blast occurred, but initial reports indicated it happened either just outside the Manchester Arena or near a foyer.
-It is also unclear whether it was a bomb. Police have so far not said what caused the blast.
-US officials told Reuters that the timing and venue suggested a terror attack, possibly by a suicide bomber.
-"This does not appear to have been a carefully planned attack involving multiple actors, extensive surveillance of the target or exotic materials," said another US official. "That is what is so worrisome about this kind of thing - how simple it is to indiscriminately kill, wound and terrorize innocent people. With our partners, the US has begun the process of combing through the available intelligence to see if anything was missed."
-Prime Minister Theresa May said authorities were working to establish the full details of what police were treating as "an appalling terrorist attack." She said her thoughts were with the victims and the families of those who have been affected.
-What about the June 8 election? PM May's ruling Conservative Party, which has a big lead in opinion polls, has suspended election campaigning due to the blast.
-No militant group has claimed responsibility so far but Islamic State supporters celebrated on social media. Twitter accounts affiliated to the militant Islamist group have used hashtags referring to the blast to post celebratory messages, with some users encouraging similar attacks elsewhere.
-The blast occurred on the anniversary of the murder of soldier Lee Rigby
, who was hacked to death on a London street on May 22, 2013. Rigby's gruesome murder gained international notoriety when Michael Adebolajo was filmed by passers-by standing in the street with blood-soaked hands trying to justify the attack.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>