Former Guantanamo Prisoner Alleges Torture

By
March 8, 2009 23:40

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Opposition lawmakers Sunday called for a judicial inquiry into claims that British intelligence agents participated in the "extraordinary rendition" and torture of a British resident who was held in US custody at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and other locations for nearly seven years. The allegations were made by Binyam Mohamed, 30, in a newspaper interview Sunday in which he told his story publicly for the first time. Mohamed, who was released without charges last month, said the British government actively cooperated with US officials in his rendition and torture despite its repeated denials. Mohamed told the Mail on Sunday newspaper that during 18 months of CIA-controlled captivity in Morocco, when his captors repeatedly sliced his chest and penis with a scalpel, interrogators questioned him about photos and information contained in British intelligence files they showed to him. Mohamed also supplied the newspaper details of two telegrams, which he obtained through a US lawsuit filed by his lawyers, allegedly sent from British intelligence officials to the CIA proposing questions that should be asked of Mohamed.

Related Content

Juncker, left, Abe, center and Tusk, right
July 18, 2018
Japan, EU sign free trade pact amid worries about Trump

By REUTERS