Two former German soldiers were ordered to stand trial Thursday for their alleged role in the 1944 massacre of 13 people near Arezzo, central Italy, the prosecutor said.
The defendants, identified as Herbert Stommel, 88 and Joseph Scheungraber, 82, are accused of complicity in murdering civilianssaid the prosecutor in charge, Marco De Paolis. Their case is being heard in a military court in the northern port town of La Spezia,
He said the two suspects did not attend the hearing.
The trial is scheduled to begin May 18, De Paolis said.
The suspects are accused in the 1944 bomb attack on civilians, including women and elderly residents, shut in a house in Falzano di Cortona, near Arezzo. The attack was a reprisal for the killing of two German soldiers.
In a separate case last year in La Spezia, 10 former members of the Nazi SS were sentenced to life in prison for another 1944 massacre of more than 500 villagers in the Tuscan village of Sant'Anna di Stazzema.