Four under investigation after attack on Paris kosher deli

Inquiry will continue in order to look for possible accomplices, particularly abroad.

By REUTERS
January 21, 2015 13:19
1 minute read.
kosher supermarket in Paris

Police raid a kosher supermarket in Paris . (photo credit: COURTESY OF BFMTV)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

PARIS - Four men have been placed under formal investigation and detained as part of an inquiry into the Islamist militant attacks in Paris two weeks ago that claimed 17 victims, the Paris prosecutor said on Wednesday.

The investigation will continue in order to look for possible accomplices, particularly abroad, and cooperation will continue with authorities particularly in Turkey, Spain and Belgium, Francois Molins told a news conference.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"So far investigations have mainly advanced on what I would call the Coulibaly aspect and not on the Kouachi aspect," Molins said.

French prosecutors had asked magistrates on Tuesday to open a formal investigation into the four men, who are suspected of helping Amedy Coulibaly prepare his attack on a kosher supermarket in Paris after three days of violence in Paris.

The violence began with an attack by two brothers, Cherif and Said Kouachi, that killed 12 at the headquarters of the Charlie Hebdo satirical weekly.

The four suspects, aged 22 to 28, have been in police custody since Friday. One of them is also under investigation for having weapons.

French satirical weekly Le Canard Enchaine reported that Coulibaly, who died in a shootout with police when they raided the kosher supermarket, had been stopped by police on Dec. 30 in Paris while he was driving a rented car.



The two policemen checked his identity in police files, which listed Coulibaly as an Islamist, the report said, adding that when they informed an anti-terror police unit, they got no reaction.

The Interior Ministry has yet to comment publicly on the report.

Prime Minister Manuel Valls was due on Wednesday to outline security measures to be taken in the wake of the attacks.

Related Content

A Spanish police officer looks over a street in Barcelona after a van ramming attack there killed 13
August 20, 2018
Spanish police treat attempted knife attack as terrorist act

By REUTERS