French police officers [Illustrative].
(photo credit: REUTERS)
PARIS - French police arrested several men over the weekend and foiled a planned terror attack, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Monday.
Seven people of French, Moroccan and Afghan origin and aged from 29 to 37 years, were arrested in all, two in Marseille and most of the others in the eastern city of Strasbourg, he said.
One of the world's oldest and largest Christmas markets is due to open in Strasbourg on Friday. Cazeneuve did not say in his declaration to reporters what the target of the would-be attackers was however.
France has been reeling in the wake of several deadly attacks
claimed by Islamic State militants since last year.
Paris marks year after attacks (Reuters)
Last week, France marked one year since the string of November 13, 2015 attacks in which gunmen and suicide bombers targeted the Bataclan music hall, a soccer stadium and several cafes in Paris. In all, the Islamic State militants killed 130 people.
During a more than two-hour long assault, the attackers executed some victims and took others hostage. The attack ended after one militant was shot dead and the two others killed themselves by detonating explosive vests.
The Paris attacks prompted the government to impose a state of emergency, which remains in place, following other attacks this summer in Nice
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>