German police arrest Syrian suspected of planning 'major terror attack'

The 19-year-old had purchased chemicals online to make a homemade bomb.

By REUTERS, PAUL CARREL/ REUTERS
October 31, 2017 16:30
1 minute read.
German police arrest Syrian suspected of planning 'major terror attack'

German police guard the Reichstag building, the seat of the German lower house of parliament Bundestag, before the German presidential election in Berlin, February 12, 2017. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later



German police arrested a 19-year-old Syrian suspected of planning an Islamist-motivated bomb attack in Germany with the aim of killing as many people as possible, the federal prosecutor's office said on Tuesday.



Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said security officials had averted a "major terrorist attack".



The man, identified as Yamen A., had been in contact online with jihadists including one who described himself as a "soldier of the caliphate", a spokeswoman for the federal prosecutor's office said.



Yamen A. was arrested in the early hours in the northeastern town of Schwerin. Police searched his home and also those of other people not suspected of being directly involved.



"According to the findings so far, Yamen A. made the decision no later than July 2017 to detonate an explosive device in Germany in order to kill and injure as many people as possible," the prosecutor's office said in a statement.



"As a result, he began to procure components and chemicals needed to make an explosive device. Whether the suspect had already envisaged a specific target for his bomb attack is still unclear," the office added.



He had ordered chemicals over the internet that could be used to make the explosive TATP, short for triacetone triperoxide, the spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office later added. He had also acquired two radios, batteries and a cellphone battery, suggesting he planned a remote-controlled explosion by radio or mobile telephone.



There were no indications that he was a member of a terrorist organization, the office said. It did not say when he arrived in Germany.



Chancellor Angela Merkel, who is trying to form a new coalition government after elections last month, has come under fire for allowing more than one million people to enter Germany over the past two years - many of them refugees from Syria.



Her 'open door' refugee policy saw her conservatives bleed support in the election to the anti-immigration Alternative for Germany (AfD), which won seats in the national parliament for the first time.



De Maiziere said the raid on the suspect took place "late enough to secure evidence and at the same time early enough to reliably ward off the danger."



"The threat situation in Germany remains high. Germany, Europe, the West are in the sights of Islamist terrorism," he added in a statement.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un sign documents that acknowledge the
December 16, 2018
Trump lowering pressure on N.Korea weakens negotiation position with Iran

By YONAH JEREMY BOB